Overview: Vancouver Digital Week
I’m very excited to be working on social media promotion for Vancouver Digital Week!
One of the reason I’m jazzed about this series is because I loved last year’s Convergence and Vidfest. I was particularly impressed with James McCraken‘s talk as well as the one on Alternate Reality Games from 42 Entertainment. I love events that allow for the soaking up of information and siphoning off great minds – and there was no shortage of that last year. It looks like this year will be pretty formidable as well.
What is Vancouver Digital Week?
(Yes, I will be asking and answering my own questions, btw – just like that self-important guy you met last week.)
Vancouver Digital Week, which runs from May 11 – 14, 2009 (mostly at the Vancouver Exhibition and Convention Centre – West – i.e. the new one at 1055 Canada Place), is a series of digital media events for people involved in, or interested in, the following industries:
- games and digital entertainment
- social media
- interactive design, animation and VFX
It includes international business match-making, big picture conference sessions, high-level seminars and workshops, as well as loads of networking parties.
You can register for an event by going to the particular event site (see below).
What events are part of Vancouver Digital Week?
(Click on the photo to see notes – including dates and websites)
What’s especially cool about this event?
I’m glad you asked!
- DAVID PLOUFFE, Campaign Manager, Obama for America will be the keynote speaker at Convergence.
- There’s a 2-day Game Developers conference
- nextMEDIA Vancouver offers a program which connects the digital worlds of Music, Advertising and Broadcast (including sessions that discuss self-promotion for artists through technology, which I’m particularly psyched about)
- New Media BC’s PopVox Awards which honour the best of BC’s Digital Media Industry. It is a people’s choice contest so the winners are determined by the audience.
- You can purchase tickets for the gala on the New Media BC site.
- And you can vote for your faves – but only until tomorrow (April 30th)! – Go to the Popvox site to vote (click on a category to see the entries – and you can vote for as many).
- There also 4 Individual Standout Awards that you can nominate people for (though these winners will be decided by a jury. )
- And much more.
Where can I find information Vancouver Digital Week?
- On Twitter – @vandigweek and @popvoxawards
- On Facebook – The Fan Page is here.
- On their sites -Vancouver Digital Week has a blog and Popvox has a site.
Update: Tags! Please tag Vancouver Digital Week as #vdw09 on Twitter, and vdw09 on Youtube, Flickr etc. (you can also add the following re: Popvox #popvox09 on Twitter and popvox09 on Youtube, Flickr etc.)
Entry filed under: alternate reality games, marketing - general, Social Marketing, social media, Web 2.0. Tags: actor, Convergence, Digital Media, GDC, Me Like the Interweb, Monica Hamburg, New Media, New Media BC, PopVox, popvox09, PopVoxAwards, social media, speaker, Vancouver Digital Week, vdw09, Writer.